Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A SERIOUS MAN (2009) FFF

Another one of the much, much overrated Coen Brother's movies that offer no coherent plot and totally fail at being funny. I previously rated No Country For Old Men C . . . only because the Cuban actor, Javier Barden was sensational. I'm sure the critics that love the Coen movies also sing the praises of art created by monkeys jumping on canvas. Deep profound meanings in the claw marks.

This new piece on nonsense attempts to be a Woody Allen movie that places Jewish life in the 50's under a microscope. It utterly fails and totally lacks a beginning and an end.

I've copied a few reviews from Yahoo. They tell the story of this horrible film better than I can.

"Worst movie I have seen in years. The main character is pathetic and never matures, he only endures. Sadly, I endured, too, and watched it until the end. I wish I had left after the first 10 minutes. What does the opening scene have to do with the rest of the movie? The ending is abrupt and unsatisfying, except that there is an end, mercifully for the viewer. As for the critics who found value in this movie: they think the emperor is wearing clothes."

"How badly I wish I could get back the last two hours of my life. A pathetic storyline that goes nowhere. "

"I saw it at a free screening - but I still feel ripped off! This has to be one of the 10 worst movies ever made - and I am a die-hard Coen Brothers fan who has seen them all. Excuses about this movie representing "Jewish Humor" are flaccid - I am Jewish and there is nothing this film represents other than old, tired, never representative, brain dead stereotypes - save your money."

"What a terd. I challenge anyone to explain this movie or the opening and closing scenes. I'm really not quite sure the point of making this movie. Have the Coen Bros peaked and now sliding into a worthless and pointless film? If their intent was to portray Jews as a misguided and dysfunctional culture he accomplished that. Hopefully this film will fade into obscurity quickly"

And this from A.O. Scott NY Times. "A Serious Man is, like its biblical source, a distilled, hyperbolic account of the human condition.". "The philosophical conundrums in “A Serious Man” can be posed only in jest — or, at least, in the cultural tradition of Ashkenazic Judaism that stretches from the shtetls of Poland to the comedy clubs of the Catskills, that is how they tend to be posed. But a deep anxiety lurks beneath the jokes, and though “A Serious Man” is written and structured like a farce, it is shot (by Roger Deakins), scored (by Carter Burwell) and edited (by the Coens’ pseudonymous golem Roderick Jaynes) like a horror movie".

No comments: