Monday, December 15, 1980

COAL MINERS DAUGHTER (1980) B

Coal Miner's DaughterAs many of you know, this movie is about the singer Loretta Lynn's rise to the queen of country music from her hardscrabble upbringing in Appalachia. A classic rags to riches story.

When I first saw it back in the early 1980's, I thought it was sensational. One of the best.

Considering that it was created almost 30 years ago, the acting, music, cinematography is still excellent. The weakness I saw today was that the screen play progresses in a straight line (linearly) from her start in rural Kentucky to her success as a performer. At the end of the movie we see her and her family living happily ever after. No real drama.

In addition, the movie shows that her life was full . . . with children, friends, interesting husband, mental problems, recovery, etc., etc.   Because these aspects of her life could not be covered in detail within the 2 hour movie time limit, I felt that the movie was incomplete and I was cheated. I would have loved to see the other three or four hours of the outtakes.

No comments: